Buying? Why Use a REALTOR®?
Not all real estate licensees are the same; only those who are members of the NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS® are properly called REALTORS®. They proudly display the “REALTOR” “®” trademark on their business cards and other marketing and sales literature.
At Modern Market Realtors®, we ARE licensed members of the National Association of Realtors® and our real estate services are of no cost to you as a buyer. When you purchase a home that is listed on the MLS (Multiple Listing Service, which is basically any home listed for sale by any realtor in the area), our REALTOR® services to you are absolutely FREE.
REALTORS® are committed to treat all parties to a transaction honestly. REALTORS® subscribe to a strict Code of Ethics and are expected to maintain a higher level of knowledge of the process of buying and selling real estate.
Real estate transactions involve one of the biggest financial investments of most people’s lifetime. Transactions today usually exceed $150,000. If you had a $150,000 income tax problem, would you attempt to deal with it without the help of a certified professional accountant? If you had a $150,000 legal question, would you deal with it without the help of an attorney? Considering the small upside cost and the large downside risk, it would be wise to work with a professional REALTOR® when you are buying a home.
If you’re still not convinced of the value of a REALTOR®, here are more reasons to use one:
- Your REALTOR® can help you determine your buying power – that is, your financial reserves plus your borrowing capacity. If you give your REALTOR® some basic information about your available savings, income and current debt, he or she can refer you to lenders best qualified to help you. Some lenders – banks and mortgage companies – offer limited choices. Many lenders are less qualified or experienced than others. Having a qualified lender is an important key to a seamless transaction, not to mention, making sure you get the best program, rates and fees.
- Your REALTOR® has many resources to assist you in your home search. Sometimes the property you are seeking is available but not actively advertised in the market, and it will take some investigation by your agent to find all available properties.
- Your REALTOR® can assist you in the selection process by providing objective information about each property. Agents who are REALTORS® have access to a variety of informational resources. REALTORS® can provide local community information on utilities, zoning, schools, etc. There are two things you’ll want to know: First, will the property provide the environment I want for a home or investment? Second, will the property have resale value when I am ready to sell?
- Your REALTOR® can help you with negotiations and inspections. There are many negotiating factors, including but not limited to price, financing, terms, date of possession and often the inclusion or exclusion of repairs and furnishings or appliances. The purchase agreement should allow time for you to complete appropriate inspections and investigations of the property before you are bound to complete the purchase. Your agent can advise you as to which investigations and inspections are recommended or required.
- Your REALTOR® provides due diligence during the property evaluation. Depending on the area and property, this could include inspections for mold, dry rot, asbestos, faulty structure, roof condition, septic tank and well tests, just to name a few. Your REALTOR® can assist you in finding qualified responsible professionals to do most of these investigations and provide you with written reports.
- Your REALTOR® along with the title search company and/or attorney can help you resolve issues that might cause problems at a later date.
- Your REALTOR® can guide you through the closing process and make sure everything flows together smoothly.
At Modern Market Realtors®, we have the patience and we take the time to make sure you completely understand all of your options and make certain all of your questions are answered completely. Using a professional to protect your interests and guide you through the process only makes sense.